Friday, November 28, 2008

Hope & Mom's Birthday

I still have hope. I hope Mom will not be suffering. I hope our family will be okay after Mom passes. I hope I will be able to survive without her. I hope we all get along. I hope about a lot every day.

Mom's (Ethel's) life is in her hands now on her terms. Tomorrow, Saturday, November 29th, is Mom's 72nd Birthday. She made it. We never dreamed she would. She surprised us all but is that really that surprising knowing my Mom?

Now it is her turn to decide when she is ready to leave. I keep looking for a sign, something in her eyes, a feeling, a look, anything, so that I will know when. That is not my decision to make as it is something she has total control over. She will be with whoever she chooses when she does decide it is her time to cross over. She has had so little control over her disease, her pain, and so much more and finally -- she can choose. She chose how she lived and now she must choose how she will leave us.

The major lesson for the living to learn from people facing the end of life is how growth can come through loss. Those who open up to these crises have much to teach.
People living with a life-threatening illness can encourage others to recognize their own priorities; to care about how they relate to others; to use time wisely; to say the simple words of apology and thanks and goodbye; to be honest about anger, protest, and negative feelings; and to recognize the releasing and positive elements of these feelings. Relationships may be healed, anger and resentments laid aside, and sources of meaning discovered together with a new sense of self. Those who are dying can teach others to hold on to hope and to cherish relaxation and creativity.

Wish Mom a happy birthday tomorrow whether in spirit or by emailing me at whippetdogs@yahoo.com and I will print out all the messages to her and read them.

No comments: