Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Defying the Odds

As I write this I am almost afraid to say the words. "Mom is defying the odds." The Docs told us this today and are amazed she is still going, still drinking/swallowing, still here. She is by no means setting the world on fire, but she is surviving. If you are reading this you know my Mom is a strong woman so this may not surprise you.

The Hospice staff have told several of us that people don't usually spend the time with patients that Mom's family/friends are doing. I think our constant presence, prayers, talking with Mom, letting her know we love her, and just being there for her are helping. Time is the greatest gift we can give her ... And something that I think she knows. She knows we are there for her as she was always there for us.

On a medical note, they have changed her pain meds a bit again but so far it has been a good change for her. It seems to treat her pain better with minimal breakthrough (if any) pain.

Mom said HI to Sonya (her sister) and myself this afternoon. I just about fell over. She also indicated 'un huh' answering a question for us. Her eyes have been open more and I always put her glasses on so she can at least see things better. She never focuses her eyes on you but into the distance.

I realize these are small and momentary victories on the path to the final journey.
We don't remember days we remember moments.
I feel like these are the ones that will count.

No comments: