Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

This is a question I have really been struggling with in relation to my Mom getting pancreatic cancer (PC). I have also struggled with why God lets such bad things happen to such good people. I have read Harold Kushner’s book on the subject but I think an email that I recently saw on the Johns Hopkins Pancreatic Cancer List serv http://pathology.jhu.edu/pancreas_chat much better conveys what has helped me to personally answer this question.

This begins the answer from an anonymous poster from the Hopkins list serv:
Because God does not concern himself/herself with what goes on here on earth he does not control the good and the bad things that go on. If we are indeed immortal souls, and are here to learn, grow, or experience Who We Are, then what happens here is pretty much a temporary thing.

And, if we are truly immortal, then what happens here is much like a child skinning their knee. Yes, it hurts, but like any parent, God would pat us on the head, kiss us on the check, then tell you to get up and go on….

And, like any child, we would wipe away our tears, put on a smile, and go do it again… This life and the lives before and after could be nothing more than us experiencing ourselves learning, loving, laughing, and yes, crying, and hurting. But is it not all temporary? Instead of looking to God to lead you in everything, consider thinking of yourself as part of God, and in that, need nothing, as you already have all you need. You simply need to look inward to find it – or anywhere that knowledge may happen to be for you.

Live in the moment, let death be whatever death is, and enjoy the moment of life you have. Worry about the afterlife when you get there, experience Who You Are right now. Death and the afterlife can take care of themselves in due time.

Be you Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, whatever… we are all part of something, else, whatever you conceive that to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenn - I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I had no idea until 3e's emailed me yesterday. I love your discovery about why. I have been learning and practicing the art of one day at a time, letting go-letting god, accepting things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can..... You and Ethel are in my thoughts and prayers. love, Cassie